The All India Bank Employees Association (AIBEA) on 17 February strongly condemned the recent violent attack on Abhay Kumar, a young manager at Union Bank in Nawada, Bihar. The association described the incident as yet another example of the deteriorating working conditions faced by bank staff across the country and called for immediate intervention from authorities.
In a statement, AIBEA General Secretary C.H. Venkatachalam expressed deep concern over the growing threat to bank employees. “This deadly murderous attack is one more proof of the deteriorating working condition of the bank staff in branches,” he said. Venkatachalam pointed to the chronic staff shortages in banks, attributing the issue to years of inadequate recruitment. He highlighted that nearly two lakh vacancies remain unfilled, while the workload has increased significantly.
“Because of the government’s and management’s policy, the number of staff has drastically come down without adequate recruitment in the last decade,” Venkatachalam said. “The increasing expectations and requirements of customers, combined with the reduced staff strength, are leading to frustration and, in some cases, violent attacks on employees,” he added.
The incident in Nawada has sparked concerns about the lack of security measures in many bank branches. Venkatachalam criticized bank managements for prioritizing the protection of cash and valuables over employee safety. “Most of the banks do not have security guards, and the staff face deadly risks. Managements feel their job is done by insuring cash, but human assets become the victims,” he remarked.
AIBEA also blamed regulatory bodies, including the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the Department of Financial Services (DFS), for their inaction. “RBI is keeping quiet, DFS is keeping quiet, and managements are clueless about what to do,” Venkatachalam said. He questioned why adequate staffing could not be ensured in a country grappling with high unemployment rates.
The association has demanded the immediate deployment of armed guards in all bank branches to deter violent incidents. “If there had been an armed guard in that branch, this incident perhaps would not have happened,” Venkatachalam noted. He called for the guards to be given full authority to handle violent situations, including the power to use force when necessary to protect staff.
In response to the escalating violence and persistent staffing issues, the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) has announced a nationwide strike on March 24 and 25. Venkatachalam indicated that the strike could be advanced if authorities fail to act swiftly. “The attacks have reached intolerable limits. We may have to prepone the strike. We will discuss with all our unions,” he said.
The banking sector has witnessed multiple incidents of violence against employees in recent years, raising concerns about workplace safety. Bank unions have consistently demanded increased staffing and enhanced security measures, but progress has been slow.
AIBEA’s call for action underscores the urgent need for a comprehensive safety protocol for bank staff. As the strike deadline approaches, the spotlight is now on the banking regulators and government authorities to address these critical concerns before more lives are put at risk.